Sunday 18 May 2008

Busy Morning, Restful Afternoon

I went for a long walk this morning taking advantage of the light traffic, first through the industrial area then across Prince of Wales and part way across the Hunt Club Bridge so I could take a photo of the Rideau River. From there I walked along Prince of Wales and then crossed onto Rideau Heights Drive and back to the campground.

Here's the Rideau River taken from the Hunt Club Bridge.

And here's the path that I take sometimes to go down under the bridge by the river.


When I got back from my walk, Gordon advised me that our electric heater had passed away after about 3 1/2 years. It's had lots of use so today we had to go out and replace it. But before that he wanted to go and get a photo for the day as it was nice and sunny with some fluffy clouds. We drove to Carleton University and parked in one of their lots and walked over to the Rideau Canal. From there we could see the tulips in the distance where the festival is being held, the Dow's Lake Pavilion where the restaurants and canoe rentals are and the Dominion Arboretum with this pretty bridge with the weeping willows and trees around it. Then back to the truck.

Trees in the Arboretum.


The white building is the Dow's Lake Pavilion where the restaurants and things are.

The tulip beds along the Queen Elizabeth Drive as seen from Colonel By Drive which runs along the canal.

Colonel By Drive is closed from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sundays for bikers, roller bladers and joggers.

The bridge over a little creek within the Arboretum.


We went to the closest Canadian Tire and they didn't have the heater than I found on the internet last night but a very helpful lady found the stores that did still have them so away we went to the brand new Canadian Tire. This now sits where our old Saturn Dealership used to be. Most of the car dealerships have moved west into an Auto Mall. In we went and got our heater.

Gordon decided he wanted to stop again at Hog's Back on our way home so we stopped and walked on the other side and took lots of photos. It's a very pretty and unique area, one of many in Ottawa.

Hog's Back Falls

Below the Falls

A little girl feeding a Canada Goose above the Falls.


Then it was past lunch time so home we went for lunch. I lay down to finish my book and when I had finished it decided I had procrastinated long enough so vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom.

I also put the maps of Canada and the U.S. in the sidebar on my blog to show where we've been. For anyone looking for the site, click here. Thanks to Peggi McDonald of rvliving.net for publishing this site on her weekly newsletter. Peggi and her husband, John, fellow Canadians have been fulltime RVers for 23 years now and have written several RVing books. Their website is also a wealth of information. If anyone is interested in receiving her free weekly email diary, you can sign up here. The sign-up area is on the right hand side of the page and is highlighted in turquoise. You can't miss it! Her information is not only for Canadians. She also gives tips to RVers from the U.S. coming to Canada as well as lots of other information.

The afternoon again turned cloudy just like yesterday.

I think that's enough for today!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandra,
    I didn't realize what pretty scenery you have up there. That is a beautiful area. Thank you for sharing it, I like to look at the places that I will never have the chance to see. Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.