Wednesday 7 January 2009

The Story of Moose Nose Soup

Last night on the rv-dreams chat, I had asked for a recipe to feed Ellie & Jim who are arriving tomorrow. JB, another Canadian from Alberta, suggested Moose Nose Stew and so on the conversation went about not being able to buy moose nose down here and so on. Anyway, I thought it was a joke and was going along with it until I googled it today. Apparently it's a Cree dish. The recipe is below and there's also a recipe for Jellied Moose Nose, just in case anyone's interested. LOL

Don't worry Ellie and Jim, I'm not making it!

Moose Nose Soup

1 Moose Nose
Several Potatoes
Salt & Pepper
1 large Onion
Several Carrots
Garlic Salt & Celery Salt

Shoot a Moose. Skin it and save the nose. Discard the rest. Build a fire. In a large kettle, melt enough snow to give 6 to 8 quarts of water. Place the nose in the kettle with all other ingredients. Simmer for 2 or 3 hours or until tender. Serve hot. The number of servings depends on how long since your last meal!

Jellied Moose Nose

It seems the moose has a big nose which can be served up as an epicurean delight. Here’s a recipe from just game recipes.com.

1 Upper jawbone of a moose
1 Onion; sliced
1 Garlic clove
1 tbsp Mixed pickling spice
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup Vinegar

Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes. Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil for 45 minutes. Remove and chill in cold water. Pull out all the hairs - these will have been loosened by the boiling and should come out easily ( like plucking a duck). Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain.Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water.Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the liquid.When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove and discard the bones and the cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips of dark meat from along the bones and jowls.Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white and dark meat in a loaf pan.

Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over the meat in the loaf pan. Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold.

*****************************************************************************************
On to my day

Today was bright and sunny. It was 43F (6C) when I got up just before 8 a.m. I got my exercise in and breakfast and then got my shopping list ready to go in to town. I left about 10:30 a.m. On my way in to town there was a family of sandhill cranes in the ditch beside the road. I saw them just as I was going past and I knew if I stopped, they'd be gone but they were really close and I could have gotten a fine photo of them, I'm sure.

I got my photocopying done to send my dentist bill in to my insurance in Ontario, looked around the dollar stores and Bealls but didn't see anything I liked better than my money. I got what I needed at HEB and then went to Walmart where I picked up the rest. It's really touch and go as to who has the better prices here in Port Lavaca. HEB has better prices on a lot of things than
Walmart does.

I was home around 2:30 p.m. and took this photo of the egret, ibis and roseate that were sitting just as I turned at the bridge to come back to the park.

We reached 70F (21C). The wind came up this afternoon but it wasn't bad and the whole day was sunny.

After unloading groceries and putting them away, I sat outside for a few minutes but the wind was cooler than I thought so came inside and retired to the couch. I finished my book and had a brief nap.

4 comments:

  1. Mr Harper must really be increasing the GST of we must resort to eating Moose Nose soup. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be looking closely at that white chili, lol! "Interesting" recipe! We'll see you very soon!

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra...I thought you were serious about the moose nose soup! I really thought you were trying to make some. Like I said we eat Pig Snout down south...so what is the big difference?? Have fun and enjoy your company no matter what you eat...

    Joe and Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can invision is a poor Moose wandering around the forest looking like a "pug". Poor Moose! :-)

    I couldn't get over the detailed instructions for the Jellied Moose Nose!! "Boiling will help remove the hairs"!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.