Friday 24 August 2007

A Summer Cold & A Bit of History

I slept really well last night with the head of the bed raised, no acid reflux at all. I didn't wake up except for the thunderstorm that we got along with heavy rains so I had to get up and close the bedroom windows.

I can't believe I've been in Lindsay for three weeks and haven't been in to any of the stores except for groceries so today I went in to town and went to the mall. I had a photo of the family from our cottage weekend that I wanted to print for Betty and since I was going in to town had it done at Black's Photography. It's a lot cheaper than doing it at home on our printer with photo paper. Turned out quite well. There are quite a few new stores in the mall that have gone in to the expansion that they built a couple of years ago. I wasn't in the market to buy much though. We've been spending too much money lately!

After that I stopped to get groceries and came home as I feel like I'm getting a cold. I took an Airborne this morning as well as a Contac and an extra Vitamin C but it doesn't seem to have helped. I probably overdid the medication and they're canceling each other out!

Today was quite warm and humid with quite a breeze so I did sit outside for a while. I'm reading a book that Danica got for Betty called "All Mortall Things". It's by an author called Maggie Wheeler and it takes place in the area of Eastern Ontario where I'm from. She has written a couple of earlier books as well and they are all about The Lost Villages that were put underwater when the St. Lawrence Seaway Project went through from 1954 to 1957 and of course there's murder and ghosts involved. They are all quite good, easy-reading books especially if you know the area. Some of the buildings were taken from the lost villages and helped to create Upper Canada Village. The links above will tell you something of the history of the area. I'm originally from the Morrisburg, Ontario area and my grandfather ran the locks in Morrisburg prior to the seaway project. This allowed the ships to get through the canal at Morrisburg and provided electricity to the town. I was only 10 years old when the project finalized so I remember part of the old town. It's an interesting bit of history and probably the only history I am interested in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment.