Friday 3 July 2009

Friday July 3, 2009

It was a gray morning but at least it wasn't raining so I continued on my merry walk. I saw the big rabbit again munching clover but didn't take my camera with me this morning. I noticed when I was out that there are quite a few tenters here. Spots for tenters are mostly along the Magpie River. These are the unserviced sites although some prefer to camp near the washrooms. I know I would if I was a tenter!

This morning I vacuumed, cleaned and washed floors. I also spent a lot of time on the computer and chatted with Dee on Yahoo Messenger for a while.

I had another walk around the park this afternoon but didn't see much to photograph as it was still cloudy. I did notice that the lilacs are just coming in to bloom. They're really late up here in the north woods.


I bought sausages (ones that Gordon can eat) yesterday at the grocery and when I opened the package there was a recipe with them but it was too late to make it last night so I made it for dinner tonight. It was pretty good but lacks something. Here's the recipe if anyone would like to give it a try and make some suggestions to give it a little oomph. I was thinking maybe a broth instead of water.

Italian Sausage and Potato Casserole

1 small onion
2 small green peppers
Pepper
2 tbsp salad oil
5 large potatoes
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp dried basil leaves
6 Italian sausages

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice the onion. Pare potato and onion in bottom of greased 1 ½ qt casserole. Wash green peppers and remove seeds. Cut into rings. Arrange on top of potato and onion in casserole. Sprinkle salt, pepper and basil. Pour salad oil and 1 ½ c. of water over the peppers. Arrange sausages on top. (I cut mine up.) Cover tightly with foil and bake 1 hour or till potatoes are tender. Remove foil and bake 30 min longer. Makes 6 servings


Around 3:30 we went out to the grocery store to pick up a couple of items I didn't know I needed yesterday and then we drove around the town of Wawa. Back on the Trans Canada going toward the campground we decided to go a bit further north to see what we could see. We wound up going down a gravel side road called Steephill Dam Road to see how far the dam was. We decided it was too far to travel on that road but did see a beautiful lake and a river. The sun had come out by the time we started out so we had some beautiful clouds again. They make for great photo ops with the scenery around here!

Such beautiful wildflowers blowing in the breeze

Lots of these sized rocks along and on the road


Doesn't this look like a moose should be here?

Pretty lake with dead pine tree in foreground

Pretty river setting

Interesting clouds

Big rock reflection in lily pad pool

Our high today only got to about 16C (61F).

2 comments:

  1. The recipe that I had was similar to that, except you could use broth. No oil, and you layered the thinly sliced potatoes, onion, peppers etc. more than once. But also on each layer you sprinkled a tbs. of flour, smidgeon healthy marg and optional cheese. And it was cooked in microwave for about 20 minutes. I have even added squash or zucchini into the mix!
    Bon Appetit, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:03 pm

    Hi Sandra my brother was a Chef and everything savory is better with a broth instead of water and replaces wine very nicely in a receipe. I actually learned to cook from him not from a Mother lol. The best store bought broths are from SuperStore their name brand. I am pretty sure that they have them there infact I think thats where they came from.

    I enjoy keeping up with you travels through our beautiful County

    Brenda Brown

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.