Thursday 11 June 2009

Morris Island Conservation Area

Although it was cloudy when I got up this morning it was fairly warm at 14C (57F). I had a nice long walk and the sun was starting to come out from under the clouds by the time I got back.

After breakfast, I talked to my sister who is at the cottage in Lindsay for a while. I had mentioned to her on the phone that I'd like to go to Morris Island Conservation Area today and when Gordon got back from his morning photo shoot around the campground area, he said "it's a nice day, let's go to Morris Island". I had also thought about going to the Purdon Conservation Area to see the Showy Lady's Slipper Orchid but unfortunately they aren't out yet and might not be before we leave next weekend. Anyway, I digress.

We packed a lunch and away we went to Morris Island. On our way we scoped out the route that we'll take to get to the highway to take us to Lake Superior next week. It's a pretty good smooth road, thank goodness.

I thought it would be really 'buggy' but it wasn't too bad and our trusty 'Off' took care of any that were around. We spent the better part of three hours there.

We had our picnic here

Another little chipmunk posing for the camera

Lupine

I'm not sure what this is but it's pretty!

A snapping turtle coming up for air

Pretty scenery

I think this is a wild rose. There was a big bush of them along the water.

Dragonfly

This old road goes over the causeway and a long way after that, we walked quite a ways over the causeway and still didn't reach the end.

Trail

Sun spot

Another part of the trail

It's a long, long way back the truck

Pretty swamp iris along the river

With all that walking our backs weren't in good shape and we were ready to head home. We went through the picturesque little town of Almonte on our way back but I didn't take any photos.

When we got home it was time for a nap!

Today was quite warm and a bit humid but I think our high was only 24C (75F) but the temperature was beautiful out in the woods!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, What a pretty place.
    The chipmunk, frog, and dragonfly were posing so nicely for you!
    I wish it were only 75F, here in the afternoons.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Looks like a nice place for a walk. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.