Monday 18 February 2008

Shopping and a Short Story

I had a good time today but it's a pretty boring day to write about. I did my walk and run around the loop and then walked in the desert.

Something we found out at the Desert Museum on Sunday. I thought that there were no snakes in the desert during the winter. That isn't true. Snakes will come out during the winter if the temperature is above 70F (21C). So I'd better watch out for them in the desert in the afternoons. I don't think I have anything to worry about in the morning but I'll be sure to take my walking stick just in case.

I left around 10 a.m. and went into Tucson. I had a few stops to make and I decided to see what was in the Fry's plaza other than Mervyns (department store). I did discover that there's a GNC (vitamin store) there so will have to go there at the beginning of March. GNC is different in the U.S. In Canada you can use your gold card membership all month, in the U.S. it's only the first seven days of each month.

After that I did my Walmart stop or the $100 store as it's called because you never get out of there for under $100 and that proved to be the case today. They also didn't have any 1% Lactaid milk or any nice apples so I stopped at the Safeway at Cardinal & Valencia on my way home, taking the back streets to reach the Ajo Highway rather than doubling back to Mission Rd.

Since today was boring, I'll tell you a short story complete with pictures.

Saguaro cactus often grow under the protection of the palo verde tree. The palo verde tree is called the "nurse plant". The saguaro grows much better and is well protected by the palo verde. They both flourish for years until the saguaro grows up to be bigger and taller than the palo verde then they both compete for the same water often killing the palo verde.

Very small saguaro under the protection of the palo verde tree


Medium saguaro still being protected by the palo verde tree


I couldn't find a photo of a totally dead palo verde with a saguaro beside it but I found this one where the palo verde is dying.


That's it for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment.