Friday, 24 March 2006

Trip to Ruidoso

Sierra Blanca

Sudderth Street, Ruidoso with Sierra Blanca in the background

Gordon at outside cafe at Ruidoso

Today was bright and sunny and reached 66F. Gordon got up early and went out for sunrise photos at White Sands again. This time there weren’t closed for missile testing.

He got back around 10:00 a.m. and we decided to drive the 48 miles to Ruidoso, NM. We were there last year very briefly and thought it was a cute little town. It sort of reminded me of Lake Placid, NY.

Ruidoso is nestled in the Rocky Mountains of southern New Mexico. Towering above the village is Sierra Blanca (more on that below) and the New Mexico ski resort, Ski Apache. Ruidoso is a year round resort with skiing, casinos, bicycling and a multitude of other things to do there.

Anyway, I packed a lunch and we headed out arriving there around 11:30 a.m. On the way, we stopped and took photos of Sierra Blanca, shown above. Sierra Blanca is a complex ancient volcano, rising more than 7,300 ft above Tularosa Basin to peak at 12,003 ft.

We parked just off Sudderth St. which is the main street in Ruidoso. I looked in the shops in about a two block area but didn’t see anything that tripped my trigger. On our way back out of town we stopped at a small indoor flea market, again nothing very interesting but a huge mothball smell which was making breathing difficult. Needless to say, we didn’t stay long. It was a bit cooler in Ruidoso but better than earlier in the week. They had snow this past Sunday and Tuesday!

On our way to Ruidoso we went through Tularosa, another little New Mexico town. Gordon had taken a photo of the church there last year but the sun wasn’t in the right position so we stopped there again on our way back to Alamogordo. He took various photos of the buildings and the church again and we stopped at a little shop called Del Sol. We had bought some things at Del Sol in Mesilla last week and this shop is owned by the same people. We bought a couple more items and then headed home.

Time for reading and my nap again. This is getting to be a habit!

I got my second wind around 5:00 p.m. and walked over to WalMart to get some strawberries for my cereal tomorrow. I also got an extra pillow as I’ve been having trouble breathing and I need to prop myself up for sleeping.

After dinner, we watched Deal or No Deal and various other shows before turning in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment.