Monday 15 December 2008

Back to Cold Weather!

We've slept with the windows in the bedroom open for the last two nights. Today that will come to an end. Our high today was 63F (17C) when I got up and around 9:30 a.m. the winds changed and started coming from the north again. It was cloudy and a bit foggy over the water as I went out for my exercise. Just as I was coming back three sandhill cranes flew over the campground. They are easy to identify because they're so large but also because of their distinctive trilling sound that they make. I haven't been carrying my camera on my morning walks and they were probably too high in the sky anyway but it sure was nice to see them. Every once in a while I see a couple of roseate spoonbills fly over as well. They are always herons, egrets and pelicans around.

Sandhill cranes



The temperature dropped 13 degrees in about 1/2 hour this morning so time to put away the short sleeves and get out the sweatshirts again!

Today is my sister's 65th birthday. They're in Las Vegas this week so I called her at her hotel to wish her a Happy Birthday! They're having a good time but they're forecasting snow there. Snow in Las Vegas? Anyway, Happy Birthday Betty! Photo taken this summer at the cottage.

This afternoon I spent laying on the couch, reading. I finished one book and started another one today. Around 4 p.m. Gordon and I went out for a little walk. The pole sitter (pelican) was sitting on his favourite pole in the bay, there was a little grebe swimming around and a snowy egret on one of the docks. While we were standig there, the sandhill cranes flew over again. The owner came out of the rec hall and said that they live a few doors up from us. Guess that's why they're around so often!

Pole sitter


Pole sitter about to take flight


Just to let you know, Jenny, we're blaming this latest cold snap on you since you said on Facebook you were sending your rotten weather south!

2 comments:

  1. <<< Just to let you know, Jenny, we're blaming this latest cold snap on you since you said on Facebook you were sending your rotten weather south! >>>

    Ah! Ah! Now we know who to blame for it !! It had to come through here to get to you, Sandra.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you folks that RV in the cold weather. Not sure we would be up for that, but who knows. Meanwhile, we are still on track to get out there and FT.

    Randy and Pam
    www.warnerrvnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.