Wednesday 10 February 2010

Wednesday February 10, 2010-A Full Day

Today was balmy compared to what it's been lately. The temperature got up to 0C (32F) this morning so it was quite nice for my walk.

Since this is cleaning day, we decided to head out to the Jack Pine Trail and leave Margaret to do her cleaning without us in the way. We saw lots of little creatures but no deer! My sister and her husband were there last week and saw two deer, we only saw squirrels, chickadees and nuthatches but it was fun anyway.

A chickadee pecking at seeds that I dropped on the snow.
\This is part of the boardwalk trail except the boardwalk is snow covered.

A chickadee and a nuthatch on a tree stump. People put seeds in the stump for the birds and the squirrels.

And here's the nuthatch with the squirrel peering from behind him.

Nuthatch feasting on seeds from my mitten.

Two chickadees taking their turn.

Then it was off to find this stand of white birches. Gordon had seen them when he was out with his photographer friend, Jim but we hadn't been able to find them. Well, today we did!

We got back early afternoon and Nancy arrived home shortly after. She had started physiotherapy yesterday and it had caused her more pain so she came home.

We had an early dinner and then headed downtown to see and photograph the ice sculptures at Winterlude. I got another chance to use my tripod. I have to say the ice sculptures weren't as nice as they used to be overall but there were a few that were well done. Also the lighting I didn't think was as nice as it usually is but it's been five years since we've been there so I could have just forgotten!

This dragon was nicely lighted.

A two headed python - scary thought!

I think this was a sea monster. It looked like 'Nessie'.

An ice bench - lots of kids were sitting on it getting their picture taken but I managed to get a shot when no one was on it.

This is the only saguaro I'm going to be seeing this winter!

I need to straighten out a couple of things from yesterday's post. First of all, my pension is not with Nortel. I took my money in a lump sum when I left so all I have with them is my health and dental benefits and no. the Canadian Government does not supply these benefits. These are extended health benefits over and above what the government pays for. The government does not provide dental or prescription coverage, vision care etc. Prescription coverage, however, does come under government care at age 65 but not all prescriptions are covered but that's a whole 'nother story.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures today! Stay warm!!!
    Hugs, JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy wildlife photos, and those you took of the birds today were beautiful. Thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ice sculpture pics are great, but even more thrilling are the pics of the birds landing on your mittens! Now that is really wonderful!!

    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How tame, or hungry, the birds must be! Lovely pictures.
    Please keep your face covered, and keep warm. Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.