Tuesday 9 February 2010

Tuesday February 9, 2010-Town Hall Meeting

It was pretty cold again today when I went for my walk but my new mittens worked really well. My hands were sweating!

This afternoon I went to a Town Hall Meeting put on by the NRPC (Nortel Retirees Protection Canada). There were four speakers and it did get pretty heated at one point but I did find out that we will have health & dental benefits till the end of this year. That was what I wanted to know.

Those pensioners who collect a monthly pension from Nortel are guaranteed only $1000/month (top up only) from the Ontario Government but that will be quite a shortfall for most if there is no amendment to the Bankruptcy Insolvency Act (BIA). It's all too complicated for my little brain but it's something that no pensioner should have to face. The NRPC are lobbying all politicians to get these changes made.

While I was there Gordon went shooting photos. This mallard is one of the photos he took today.

4 comments:

  1. We are looking for snow Thursday. I sure will be glad when we are in Arizona next year about this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,

    Tell Gordon that this is one of the most detail photos I have ever seen! I thought it was a painting! Great work, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh that photo almost looks like a painting!!! I had to look twice!

    That is too bad that you have to go through such stress on the retirement funds. Companies offering retirement packages should not be allowed to touch them when in financial troubles. They should have to hand them over to an independant investment institution at the get go. Then nobody touches it till you retire. Good folks who put in many faithful years of service deserve their full pensions!


    Karen and Steve
    (Blog) http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful picture, Gordon. To catch him with his wings like that must have been a difficult feat.
    I am happy that your retirement is OK for now, but don't you have health and dental through the Canadian Govmt.?
    Same old thing, greedy people see how much there is in a pension fund, and can't stand it. I hope they didn't get into yours.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.