Sunday 4 October 2009

Sunday October 4, 2009 - No electricity!

I was definitely a bad girl today. I woke up to no electricity. Gordon had gone out this morning and saw numerous hydro trucks so when I got up he suggested we go to The Gourmet Restaurant in Carleton Place for breakfast. We haven't been there in at least two years. Breakfast means things that aren't on my new diet - toast, home fries, eggs......BUT at this point I don't have severe enough reactions to anything so away we went.

We had a good breakfast although we were lucky to get a table. The place was packed!

From there we decided to take a drive to Almonte, a little town not far from Carleton Place as it was unlikely that we'd have warmth yet so we drove over there. It's a picturesque little town with lots of waterfalls and a downtown on a hill with a corner in it. Lots of interesting little shops. Almonte is also notable for being the boyhood home of Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. How many people knew that little piece of trivia?

The Mississippi River at Almonte


Falls on the Mississippi

More Falls in town

And more

Dowtown Almonte

Looking up the hill


Looking down the hillOne of the cute little shops


My younger sister called while we were out and wanted to come and visit but I wasn't sure when we'd be back and if we'd be back to normal so we'll see them Friday at their place for Thanksgiving dinner. Canadian Thanksgiving is next weekend!

After that we decided to come home and see if we had electricity and we did! Thank goodness as I started feeling unwell. I get these rippling pains in the lower right part of my skull sometimes. I haven't had one since probably last year but they really hurt! So I took a bunch of medications to get rid of it and finally went to sleep. When I woke up it was gone!

It also rained for most of the afternoon. Not a nice afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. What a neat little town, seems real homey. I'm so glad you got rid of the neck pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle9:25 am

    Those are some pretty pictures. I'm sure it was more beautiful in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.