Monday, 16 February 2009

A Brief Trip to Port Aransas

Low-59F (15C)
High-65F (18C)

It was cloudy, windy and dreary again this morning with northeastern wind that made me eat sand when I was on my walk. The sand was also blowing across the road reminding me of how snow looks at home however it wasn't really cold. We slept with one window open last night and a nice breeze blowing in. Sure makes for a good sleep!

After breakfast and computering we drove into Port Aransas and went to the Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center again and then to Roberts Point Park. Here are some photos.

The ever present tri-colour heron

northern shoveler

and our great blue heron in his favourite spot with his feathers blowing in the wind

and this is where all the roseates are - this is only a fraction of them in this photo

Three ferries and a ship

We were trying to get a photo of the dolphins jumping in front of the ship but it was so windy today that I couldn't hold the camera still enough. There were at least two dolphins jumping with the bow wave in front of the ship. I'll be trying again!

Then we stopped at the grocery store as I had decided this is stew weather. After groceries we headed back to the RV park where they were unloaded, put away and the ones put aside for stew.

But first, a nap was in order. I had picked up a copy of the Visitor Guide for the island and by the time I looked through that I was nodding off. I woke up at 3:40 p.m. and got the stew ready. It's not for tonight though, it's better the second day. In fact it's better the day we finish it!

Our neighbours that arrived the same day we did left this morning. This is what they were camping in (photo on left). I would have been claustrophobic for sure!

We were supposed to have some rain this afternoon but I have yet to see any, not even a sprinkle. It's too bad we have to suffer the gray skies and not get anything out of it! They sure need the rain!


  1. When we did First Monday in Canton Texas we had a couple next door to us that stayed in their cargo trailer. They hauled their goods to sell in it and when they got it unloaded they would sleep in it. I don't know how they did it but they did. Like you Sherri wouldn't have done that.

    Joe and Sherri

  2. Tom Warfield5:55 pm

    I hope there was a window somewhere in that trailer. Did they leave the loading ramp open at night or did they close it?


Thank you for leaving a comment.