Saturday 25 July 2009

Saturday July 25, 2009-Orillia

A friend of mine sent me this. I thought it was cute.

Always keep several
get well cards on the mantle...
so if unexpected guests arrive,
they will think you've been sick
and unable to clean.

It rained again in the middle of the night so I had to close my window again. This is getting tiresome! It stopped this morning for me to go for my walk although it looked like it might rain any second.

After breakfast, we headed into Orillia as I had read on-line that there was a Farmer's Market and indeed there was. There was also a downtown sidewalk sale.

Farmer's Market (didn't buy anything)

Opera House

Street Fair

Sidewalk Sale

Really big blow-up guy - it was funny watching him dance let alone walk!

Interesting jewelry store - the lights inside are huge chandeliers-very pretty


Orillia is a very clean town and their downtown looks to be flourishing unlike many other places we've seen where downtown stores have closed due to malls opening on the outskirts of town. There is also a very interesting building called the Opera House right next to where the market is held. One of the reasons I wanted to go to the market was because they advertised a booth that sold gluten-free baking. Apparently the gluten-free baker has had cancer and is recuperating but I was told that there is a bakery, Orillia Bakery that does gluten-free baking in town. We'll have to check that out.

While there I saw a Natural Foods store. It is difficult in some areas to get Gordon's corn tortillas in Ontario that he uses instead of bread while here in Ontario and they did have some so we bought 2 packages. They freeze well. Our next stop is Lindsay and we've been unsuccessful at finding them in that area so now we're stocked up and should have enough till we're back at Ottawa.

The houses are very nice and well kept with lots of flowers. I'll get photos another day when the weather is nicer.

We also drove around trying to find some vantage points on the water but weren't very successful today.

After lunch, I lay down to read and fell asleep again. The rains came again this afternoon!

Happy birthday today to my favourite aunt, Aunt Ruth and also to my sister-in-law, Carol.

To read Gordon's journal, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Lynne Ennis4:20 pm

    Don't you just LOVE Maxine! Wish I had that much moxie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra & David,
    Just a quick note from your favourite Aunt's "oldest" son. I visited Mom on Friday the day before her 87th birthday and there on her window ledge was the birthday card from her favourite neice(truly favourite)and her husband. It was very nice of you both to take the time to remember your Aunt Ruth's Birthday, she has always looked forward to your many visits with great anticipation.
    As an aside, Debbie and I are about to join your RVing ranks, the house is now up on the market and as soon as it goes, we are on the road in our "C" Class Forester. This is all new to me, I just hope I can keep it on the paved portion of the highway. Happy Trails Folks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.