Tuesday, 11 September 2007

Traveling Around the Small Towns of the Kawarthas (Ontario)

It rained quite hard early this morning and I thought that our day of traveling around the small towns of the Kawarthas was going to be cancelled however the sun came out later this morning and although it was cloudy when Betty picked me up around 10:30 a.m. we had a mixture of sun, cloud and rain throughout the day but we still had a great time!

The towns we visited were Oakwood, Woodville, Lorneville, Argyle, Bolsover, Gamebridge, Kirkfield, Fenelon Falls, Coboconk, Bobcaygeon, Rosedale, Dunsford and Lindsay. There's not much in most of these little towns however they are interesting to see and I hadn't been to some of them before. Gordon and I had been to Kirkfield to see the lift lock but hadn't gone into the town so that's were Betty and I had lunch today. I had breakfast instead and it was a very good breakfast while Betty had fish and chips.

Our first stop was at this little store in Lorneville. He had everything from antiques to jams, cheese and preserves.
This was a crafty type place but also a restaurant and bakery. The painting on this door is done on screen. Very pretty!

Here I am outside the store mentioned above. It's called The Argyle Store and it first opened for business in December 1880, now one of the last general stores still in operation in Ontario.

Here's Betty standing outside the Pattie House which is a legend in Coboconk. I remember we stopped there in the boat some years ago and had a drink there. It wasn't what you'd call high society!

We also stopped at a place in Dunsford locally called the Dunsford Walmart. It's a barn stocked with all sorts of things from cooking oil to picture frames. Not neatly stacked and resembles a flea market. Betty said she checked some expiry dates on some of the food and one of the things she saw had expired in 2006. So if you're going to buy anything there, you want to check expiry dates for sure. We didn't buy anything but it was interesting to see!

After that, we stopped in Lindsay to pick up a few groceries and I arrived home shortly after 5:00 p.m.

Gordon took the truck in for service to keep the warranty up to date. I think it's the first time in two weeks that he's been out in the truck except to go to the hospital last weekend. So it looks like he's feeling better. Let's hope it continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment.